CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 6, 2009

Proving there is nothing I won't blog about

Um, the most recent picture of my Dad. As many of you know, he pulled the most heinous in bad taste non April Fool's Day joke, like, ever, and had a stroke. We thought he was going to be okay and were merrily planning a future where we nagged him and made him quit chewing tobacco and handed him Tofutti instead of ice cream, and then he upped the ante and left us for the ice cream bar on the Other Side where he can mainline Butter Pecan Breyer's all day and nobody bugs him about it.

I know I joke, but these last few days have been surreal and painful, full to tears, but also full of laughter. My Mom and Dad were truly soulmates, a truth you guys probably got an itty taste of from the anniversary post. She is in profound pain and my brother and I are doing as much as we can, but unfortunately, the best we can do is help her find her way to the new normal.

I have been awed at the amount of people who have come by the house, visited, called, showed up to the funeral home for the visitation and service, and they all say the same thing, about how much they loved him and will miss him. And I have also been thankful for the amount of support I have gotten from my "invisible friends." Solly really got it when she said she knew I was overwhelmed, because in the South when someone dies you're totally surrounded by folks and food, no matter where you turn.

The Memorial Service was this morning, and it was nice and all, but I kinda wanted them to play my Dad's fave song but they didn't. So here's the lyrics:

Be young, be foolish, but be happy
Be young, be foolish, but be happy

Don't let the rain get you down, it's a waste of time
A waste of time
Have your fun, live everyday in the bright sunshine
The bright sunshine

Well it's the same old story all over the world
Girl meets boy, and boy meets girl

So be young, be foolish, but be happy
Be young, be foolish, but be happy

Don't let love slip away, slip away
Live your life for today, for today

Life is too short to worry about unimportant things
Unimportant things
Reach for the sky, touch your star, and then you find your dream
Find your dream

Cause dreamin' alone, it's a shame indeed
But if you got love that's all you need

So be young, be foolish, girl be happy
Be young, be foolish, girl stay happy(Repeat fade)



Thanks again you guys. My Mom says thanks too, I have read your words of comfort to her and she was as touched as I am. I promise I will write about something cheerier next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All my best wishes and online support goes out to you and your family Carrie. I hope you guys are hanging in there. In time, it will get better

*big squeezy hugs*

sdock10 said...

What a wonderful song! I was reading your post and you know ol emo me wanted to tear up and cry and just go to boo-hooing it up, but when I read those lyrics, I couldn't help but to smile.

I'm still thinking of you Guys, and hoping that you can find strength, hope, love, and laughter in each other.

Breyer's Butter Pecan, huh? Your Dad had exquisite taste in ice cream and in women. Tell your Mom that I hope to find the kind of love that she had with your Dad one day.

That kind of love is worth waiting for.

Love ya'll!

farawaysoclose said...

Carrie, you are just lovely. your dad must have been so proud of you. i know it must be so tough dealing with this, but you still make me smile with your words, and then you make me cry a little.

thinking of you and all your family.

take care.

MissTottenham said...

What a wonderful post Carrie. It seems like your dad is gonna be missed by a lot of people.

I'm thinking of you all right now.

xxx

Lea said...

Carrie, It will get better with time, so they say. I'm sure your dad appreciates this post-another fabulous one! Love Ya! My Love to Betty!

sdock10 said...

Still sending you love and hugs!